- 1 cup almond meal (leftover from making almond milk) or 2 cups almonds ground
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon saltPreheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8 inch nonstick
springform pan lined with wax paper on the bottom. Mix ingredients and pour into prepared pan. Bake for approximately 45 minutes. Let cool.
Top with strawberry or raspberyy jam, powdered sugar, or the following dark chocolate ganache.
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 cups of dairy and soy free semi-sweet chocolate chips or equivalent – we use 36 Tablespoons Dutch process cocoa powder, 28 Tablespoons cane sugar, and 12 Tablespoons canola oil (because I’m too cheap to spend $10 on chocolate chips for chocolate ganache)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
In a heavy sauce pan, combine oil and chocolate (if you are making a chocolate substitute, make the substitute first and then add the additional oil).After everything is incorporated, whisk in the water and salt. Cool slightly and add vanilla. Pour over cake.
This ganache is horribly rich. We generally make half batches. It’s wonderful for dipping fruit in for a party.